The owner of Venezuela’s only remaining TV channel that takes a critical line against President Hugo Chavez was arrested Thursday, raising concerns the government is carrying out a widening crackdown aimed at silencing opponents.
Guillermo Zuloaga, owner of Globovision, was arrested on a warrant for remarks that were deemed “offensive” to the president, Attorney General Luisa Ortega said…
The Attorney General’s Office said in a statement that prosecutors are investigating Zuloaga for allegedly violating a law prohibiting Venezuelans from spreading “false information through any medium,” including newspapers, radio, television, e-mails or leaflets, “that cause public panic.”
Hugo Chavez has his own version of the Democrats’ “Fairness Doctrine”. I really don’t think there is much difference between Chavez and Obama, either. This will happen here too, in time. When you look at the way that Democrats attack and censor their opponents in the media and on university campuses, it’s not unexpected. They’re fascists. It’s not an insult, it’s just reality. That’s the worldview of the secular left.
Are Obama and Chavez really so different?
Here’s a picture of Barack Obama and Hugo Chavez.
They seem to get along well. Perhaps because they share the same views?
- OAS report details violence and lost freedoms in communist Venezuela
- Photos from the revolution against communism in Venezuela
- Venezuelans riot as communist Hugo Chavez seizes control of TV channel
- Hugo Chavez says that Haiti earthquake was caused by secret US weapon
- Chavez marches Venezuela down the road to serfdom at gunpoint
- Communist Venezuela introduces energy rationing in 2010
- Hugo Chavez shuts down 34 radio and TV stations in Venezuela
- Venezuela nationalizes Spanish-owned bank
- Obama restores diplomatic ties with Venezuela and Syria
- North Korea conducts second nuclear test, Obama sternly disapproves