Here’s tonight’s movie:
IMDB mean rating: [7.6/10]
IMDB median rating: [8/10]
The Dam Busters is a 1955 British Second World War war film starring Michael Redgrave and Richard Todd and directed by Michael Anderson. The film recreates the true story of Operation Chastise when in 1943 the RAF’s 617 Squadron attacked the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe dams in Germany with Wallis’s “bouncing bomb”. The film was based on the books The Dam Busters (1951) by Paul Brickhill and Enemy Coast Ahead (1946) by Guy Gibson.
The film falls into two parts. The first part involves Wallis struggling to develop a means of attacking Germany’s dams in the hope of crippling German heavy industry. Working for the Ministry of Aircraft Production, as well as doing his own job at Vickers, he works feverishly to make practical his theory of a bouncing bomb which would skip over the water to avoid protective torpedo nets. When it came into contact with the dam, it would sink before exploding, making it much more destructive.
WARNING: the Lancaster pilots have a dog for their mascot and the dog has a name that may be offensive to some viewers. (It’s the n-word). So, don’t watch the movie if you can’t handle that. But this is a World War 2 classic.
The Lancaster bomber:
AVRO Lancaster specifications:
- Length: 69 ft. 5 in.
- Wingspan: 102 ft.
- Height: 19 ft. 7 in.
- Wing Area: 1,300 sq. ft.
- Empty Weight: 36,828 lbs.
- Loaded Weight: 63,000 lbs.
- Crew: 7
- 4 × Rolls-Royce Merlin XX V12 engines, 1,280 hp each
- Range: 3,000 miles
- Max Speed: 280 mph
- Ceiling: 23,500 ft.
- Guns: 8 × .30 in (7.7 mm) machine guns
- Bombs: 14,000 lbs. depending on range, 1 x 22,000-lb. Grand Slam bomb
It’s one of my favorite war movies about the best-regarded heavy bomber of the war, on either side. (The B-17 is a close second)
- Friday night movie: Sink the Bismarck! (1960)
- Friday night movie: The Crossing (2000)
- Friday night movie: The Great Escape (1963)
- Friday night movie: Pitfall (1948)
- Friday night movie: Great Expectations (1946)
- Friday night movie: The Quiet Man (1952)
- Friday night movie: King Lear (1971)
- Friday night movie: Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
- Friday night movie: The Lady Vanishes (1938)
- Friday night detectives: two more episodes of Sherlock Holmes
- Friday night movie: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005)
- Friday night movie: Kansas City Confidential (1952)
- Friday night movie: Double Indemnity (1944)
- Friday night movie: Moby Dick (1956)
- Friday night movie: The Guns of Navarone (1961)
- Friday night movie: Went the Day Well? (1942)
- Friday night movie: The Cruel Sea (1953)
- Friday night movie: Cyrano de Bergerac (1950)
- Friday night movie: Horatio Hornblower (1951)
- Friday night movie: The Robe (1953)
- Friday night spies: Four more episodes of Danger Man
- Friday night movie: Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)
- Friday night detectives: two episodes of Sherlock Holmes
- Friday night movie: The Silver Fleet (1943)
- Friday night movie: One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942)
- Friday night spies: Decision Before Dawn (1951)
- Friday night movie: The First of the Few (1942)
- Friday is Spy-Day! Watch four episodes of Danger Man