From the UK Telegraph.
Almost two thirds of NHS trusts using the Liverpool Care Pathway have received payouts totalling millions of pounds for hitting targets related to its use, research forThe Daily Telegraph shows.
The figures, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal the full scale of financial inducements for the first time.
They suggest that about 85 per cent of trusts have now adopted the regime, which can involve the removal of hydration and nutrition from dying patients.
More than six out of 10 of those trusts – just over half of the total – have received or are due to receive financial rewards for doing so amounting to at least £12million.
[...]At many hospitals more than 50 per cent of all patients who died had been placed on the pathway and in one case the proportion of forseeable deaths on the pathway was almost nine out of 10.
[...]The LCP was originally developed at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital and the city’s Marie Curie hospice to ease suffering in dying patients, setting out principles for how they to be treated.
It involves the withdrawal of treatments or tests from patients which doctors believe could cause distress and do more harm than good.
[...]A series of cases have also come to light in which family members said they were not consulted or even informed when food and fluids were withheld from their loved-ones.
What would happen if we had government-run health care? When you make something “free”, more people want to use it, but fewer people want to provide it – because there is no money in it. So what does the government do to control costs? They ration care to people who can no longer vote to keep them in power. The weak, the elderly – just put them on a pathway to death. Is that what we want here in the United States?
- UK socialism in action: patients waiting on trolleys for over 50 hours
- NHS makes patients wait unnecessarily in order to avoid “raising expectations”
- NHS refuses to treat woman who is starving to death
- Former NHS hospital director dies on surgery waiting list
- Women gives birth after NHS nurses send her home from hospital
- UK patients denied treatment as “public option” system makes cutbacks
- How do governments control costs in a single-payer health care systems?
- NHS patients giving birth in waiting rooms
- What does universal health care really mean?
- How well is government-run health care working out in the UK?
- British national health care system prepares to cut 20 billion dollars
- NHS kills a man’s wife by delaying cancer treatment for 7 months
- How is socialized medicine working out in the UK and Canada?
- Police probe death of NHS hospital patient who begged for water
- How government-run health care leads to euthanasia
- NHS employees leapfrog their own waiting lists to access private health care
- NHS delays treatment for broken arm for four months and counting
- One in six patients misdiagnosed by NHS
- The deadly consequences of rationing health care
- Health care in Britain: question a doctor and lose your children
- How death panels work in the British health care system
- One million NHS patients receive brutally inadequate health care
- 4000 NHS patients denied hospital beds to give birth to children
- Woman gives birth on pavement after NHS refuses to send an ambulance
- NHS hospitals infested with a dozen varieties of vermin
- 39-year old woman is prescribed painkillers and dies after 11-minute NHS exam
- NHS refuses to pay for lower-back painkillers