Dina sent me this article from the UK Telegraph, which features our favorite Conservative MP, Iain Duncan Smith.
Some 45% see their mother and father’s relationship break down before then, although 80% are born to a couple living together.
The figures were released as the Government announced plans to change the way it measures the effectiveness of social programmes for the poor.
Halting the breakdown of family life will become the key measure of success, with officials being asked to record how they promote family stability and tackle joblessness, and whether children in the families affected perform as well their peers in other families.
Companies providing the programmes to provide help for Britain’s 120,000 so-called problem families will be paid in accordance with how well they improve the statistics in these areas, the Daily Mail reported.
Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, told the Social Justice Conference in London: “Stable, loving families matter.
“They matter for this government, and they matter for the most vulnerable in society
“By measuring the proportion of children living with the same parents from birth and whether their parents report a good quality relationship we are driving home the message that social programmes should promote family stability and avert breakdown.
“You don’t help families by shrugging your shoulders when parental relationships fall apart.
“When families are strong and stable, so are children, showing higher levels of wellbeing and more positive outcomes.
“But when things go wrong – either through family breakdown or a damaged parental relationship – the impact on a child’s later life can be devastating.”
Mr Duncan Smith warned last week that the welfare system was promoting destructive behaviour by encouraging poorer families to have more children and denying them the incentive to get a job.
Wouldn’t it be nice if we could have a frank talk in this nation about the social costs of family breakdown and how to prevent it? We need to spend time as a nation going over the harm that family breakdown causes to children, and developing best practices for dating, courting, mate-selection and behaviors with marriage.
I wrote quite a long post about how women can prevent divorce earlier this week and was surprised that we did not get many comments on it. I noticed that many people read it, but no one commented. Sometimes I feel that a whole bunch of us have this view of relationships such that we choose our mate based on emotions, and that the purpose of the relationship is to make us feel happy. But that’s not going to provide children with the stability they need.
- 67% of single / unmarried / divorced women vote for pro-abortion, pro-gay-marriage Obama
- New study: staying a virgin longer enables more satisfying relationships
- Study explains why college women abandon courtship for hook-ups
- New study: relationship quality diminished by early sexual activity, especially for women
- New study: marriage drops probability of child poverty by 82%
- What do radical feminists want women to want?
- New study finds that Christians who regularly attend church divorce less
- How do prostitutes stay in business in an era of hook-up sex?
- Can recreational sex turn a selfish, irresponsible man into a marriage-minded provider?
- New study finds that cohabitation damages children
- New peer-reviewed paper highlights the benefits of pre-marital chastity/abstinence
- Does being a virgin before marriage affect marital stability?
- How important are biological fathers for healthy child development?
- What causes women to become single mothers, and how are children affected?
- New study shows that children of working mothers live unhealthier lives
- New Scientist article shows why fathers are necessary for children’s well-being
- New study finds that women choose mates based on appearance
- Men should prefer women who allow moral judging and spiritual leading
- Where have all the good men gone, and why aren’t men marrying?
- Do men have a responsibility not to marry feminists?
- Why do some women tolerate jerks as boyfriends?
- The dangers of sentimentality in relationships
- How feminism made women unsuitable for marriage and parenting
- Why Christian men should be chaste
- Study: 80% of single evangelicals aged 18-29 are no longer virigins
- For women under 30, most births occur outside of marriage
- How feminist pastors like Mark Driscoll and Kevin DeYoung undermine marriage
- In the UK welfare state, single motherhood is passed from mother to daughter
- New study finds that teens who lose their virginity are more likely to divorce
- How more compassion and less moral judgments increases teen pregnancy
- New survey finds women more sexually active than men in high school
- Why do feminist academics think that feminism has empowered women?
- Who is responsible for the abolition of marriage? Men or feminists?
- Who is to blame for the hook-up culture?
- How the feminist welfare state causes generations of fatherlessness
- Less than half of 7 to 21 year old women think marriage precedes child-bearing