Looking for something good to watch tonight? How about a debate?
Jay Richards (Discovery Institute) and Jim Wallis (Sojourners) will address the question of Christian social engagement through the subject of the Common Good. Each will present a proposal (and response) on the question, “What is the common good? And how should the Church and Christians pursue it?”
Note that Trinity International University is in the Central time zone, so the debate will go from 8 PM to 10 PM Eastern.
I asked Dr. Richards about the format of the debate, and he said it will be a formal debate, with 20-minute opening speeches, timed rebuttals, and possibly timed counter-rebuttals. There will also be a time of Q&A with the audience. So this is not going to be a free for all.
Dr. Richards is one of a handful of scholars I really admire. Although Ron Nash got me started on investigating Christianity and economics, it was Jay Richards who pointed me towards F. A. Hayek and Thomas Sowell. He also did quality work inventing a new argument for design in his work with Guillermo Gonzalez in the book “The Privileged Planet“. He also took on theistic evolution by editing a collection of essays on that topic, entitled “God and Evolution“. So he’s studied economics and intelligent design, and written on both. This will not be Richards’ first debate – he’s debated Christopher Hitchens before (audio, video).
My understanding is that Wallis is an Obama-supporter who just came out in favor of gay marriage. He is a registered Democrat, so that gives you an idea of what he thinks about abortion, as well. It will be interesting to see whether he is able to find in Biblical support for the idea of forced redistribution of wealth by a powerful central government in the Scriptures. I’m betting that he can’t. In addition, it’s worth pointing out that Jim Wallis has admitted that he takes funding from the prominent atheist and socialist George Soros.
To get you prepared for tonight’s debate, why not check out this 51-minute lecture on Christianity and economics by Jay Richards?
For those who can’t see the debate, here is an MP3 that covers the same material, hosted by the Acton Institute.
- Jay Richards: what should Christians think about global warming?
- What conditions support the minimum requirements for complex life?
- Answering the question “Who Designed the Designer?”
- Should Christians be socialists?
- Jay Richards asks: what should Christians believe about global warming?
- Should Christians support wealth redistribution as a way to alleviate poverty?
- Brian Auten interviews Jay Richards about Christian apologetics
- Jay Richards investigates whether George Soros is funding Jim Wallis
- Frank Turek interviews Jay Richards on Christianity and capitalism
- Doug Axe publishes a new peer-reviewed paper on protein folding
- Jay Richards explains when you should doubt “scientific consensus”
- First Things reviews Jay Richards’ Money, Greed and God
- Video of the Stanford debate between Jay Richards and Christopher Hitchens