Fox News reports.
The Justice Department is trying to stop a school vouchers program in Louisiana that attempts to help families send their children to independent schools instead of under-performing public schools.
The agency wants to stop the program, led by Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal, in any school district that remains under a desegregation court order.
In papers filed in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, the agency said Louisiana distributed vouchers in 2012-13 to roughly 570 public school students in districts that are still under such orders and that “many of those vouchers impeded the desegregation process.”
The federal government argues that allowing students to attend independent schools under the voucher system could create a racial imbalance in public school systems protected by desegregation orders.
Jindal — who last year expanded the program that started in 2008 — said this weekend that the department’s action is “shameful” and said President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder “are trying to keep kids trapped in failing public schools against the wishes of their parents.”
The Justice Department says Louisiana has given vouchers this school year to students in at least 22 of 34 districts remaining under desegregation orders.
Jindal called school choice “a moral imperative.”
Vouchers are a way of helping poor, minority students to get a quality education by letting them choose to attend better schools – any school the parents choose.
This lady from the Cato Institute explains in a 5-minute video why vouchers are a good thing.
A longer video featuring John Stossel is here:
You can learn more about vouchers below.
- Indiana voucher program offers hope to low-income students
- Secretary of Education rescinds previously awarded D.C. vouchers
- Arizona Supreme Court rules voucher program unconstitutional
- New study: private religious schools outperform public schools and public charter schools
- How two moms halted the Common Core curriculum in Indiana
- Wayne Grudem explains what the Bible says about parents and schools
- Good news: school choice victory in Indiana, pro-life victory in North Dakota
- Atlanta public schools caught helping students to cheat on standardized tests
- Republicans in Florida, Indiana and Pennsylvania push school choice
- Do public school teachers want to give children a quality education?
- Sex-education video prompts mother to transfer out 7-year old daughter
- 10% of US students are subject to sexual misconduct by school staff
- How Obama’s new 2011 budget fails the poorest children in two ways
- How teacher unions lobby government to block educational reform
- What helps kids to learn? Parents, teacher unions or education bureaucrats?
- New study reveals how school choice benefits the poorest students
- Eleven schools teaching children to praise and worship Obama
- Do teacher unions care about providing high quality education?
- Does the education system discriminate against boys?
- NEA lawyer explains the real goals of teacher unions: money and power
- Are teacher unions interested in helping your children to succeed in life?
- Economist Walter Williams evaluates whether teachers are earning their huge salaries
- How teacher’s unions make war on charter schools