From intrepid journalist Sharyl Attkisson, the latest on the Obama administration’s operation to run guns to Mexican drug cartels in order to motivate stricter gun regulations here in the USA.
For the first time, the Department of Justice has provided a detailed description of 15,662 Fast and Furious-related documents it is withholding from Congress, the public and the press under executive privilege exerted by President Obama.
The description comes in the form of a so-called Vaughn index ordered by a federal court in a lawsuit filed against the Justice Department by the conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch. The Justice Department waited to provide the index, due yesterday, until 8:34 p.m.
The number of withheld documents is so extensive, that the list describing them is 1,323 pages long.
[...]Among the withheld communications is a March 8, 2011 email from a Mexico-based Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) official less than one week after federal agent John Dodson blew the whistle on Fast and Furious in an interview with me for CBS News. The email is described as “discussing response to [Mexico].”
Another withheld email sent in the same time period is from then-White House official Kevin O’Reilly. Dated March 10, 2011, it was sent to more than a dozen federal officials and is described as, “discussing draft press statement.”
More withheld emails “forwarding and discussing news items” have Attorney General Holder’s name on them. One series of such exchanges is dated July 26, 2011, the same day I reported the revelation that ATF had shared information about Fast and Furious with the White House.
[...]Other withheld documents are concerning Freedom of Information (FOI) requests I made in May of 2011. It’s unclear as to why the president would exert executive privilege to keep from turning over documents discussing “which office will respond” to my FOI requests. The Justice Department never properly responded to my requests.
Please see below for more on what Fast and Furious was all about. The mid-term elections are coming up. Don’t let Democrats shake this off!
- Obama campaign contributor and gun control advocate ran Fast and Furious
- Obama covers-up DOJ operation that allowed gun smuggling to Mexican drug cartels
- Republicans prepare contempt citation for AG Eric Holder over Fast and Furious
- Fast and Furious’ goal was to undermine legal firearm ownership
- Obama administration tries to cover up Border Patrol agent’s murder
- Eric Holder testifies on Fast and Furious gun smuggling to Mexican drug cartels
- Fast and Furious assault weapons seized from drug cartel enforcer’s home
- Republicans call for AG Eric Holder to resign over newly released e-mails
- Did attorney general Eric Holder lie to Congress about gun sales to drug cartels?
- New Operation Fast and Furious e-mails sent to White House official
- Janet Napolitano, Eric Holder and the plan to sell guns to Mexican drug cartels
- Did attorney general Eric Holder know about Operation Fast and Furious?
- Obama administration allowed American gun shipments to Mexican cartels
- Slain border agent’s family unimpressed by Janet Napolitano’s indifference