Consider this article from Forbes about Obamacare and how it was presented by Ezra Klein, a well-known journalist from the left-leaning Washington Post. (H/T Bernie M.)
The key thing to remember is that back when Obamacare was being debated in Congress, Democrats claimed that it was right-wing nonsense that premiums would go up under Obamacare. “What we know for sure,” Obamacare architect Jonathan Gruber told Ezra Klein in 2009, “is that [the bill] will lower the cost of buying non-group health insurance.” For sure.
In 2009, was Ezra saying that it’s ok that premiums will double for the average person, because a minority of people will pre-existing conditions will benefit? No.
Earlier that year, AHIP, the private insurer trade group, commissioned a report from Price Waterhouse Coopers to analyze the impact of Obamacare on health insurance premiums in the individual market. That report, which I reviewed here and elsewhere, found that the version of Obamacare then being considered by the Senate Finance Committee would increase premiums by 14 to 32 percent, depending on the year you looked at. In retrospect, the PwC report was a bit optimistic.
But Ezra described the PwC analysis as “the insurance industry’s deceptive report,” comparing it to sham research put out by the tobacco industry and Big Oil. Ezra did concede at the time that “buying better insurance will cost somewhat more,” because insurers would no longer be able “to sell a deceptive and insufficient product.”
But high-deductible, catastrophic insurance isn’t cheaper because it’s dishonest. It’s cheaper because it’s more efficiently designed. And it’s precisely that sort of efficiently-designed insurance that Obamacare abolishes.
I blogged about that study from Price Waterhouse Coopers before, too. In fact, I fully explained why specific provisions of Obamacare would necessarily raise health insurance premiums.
Before the 2012 election, I linked to an article from Investors Business Daily, which confirmed that premiums had indeed risen since the passage of Obamacare.
During his first run for president, Barack Obama made one very specific promise to voters: He would cut health insurance premiums for families by $2,500, and do so in his first term.
But it turns out that family premiums have increased by more than $3,000 since Obama’s vow, according to the latest annual Kaiser Family Foundation employee health benefits survey.
Premiums for employer-provided family coverage rose $3,065 — 24% — from 2008 to 2012, the Kaiser survey found. Even if you start counting in 2009, premiums have climbed $2,370.
What’s more, premiums climbed faster in Obama’s four years than they did in the previous four under President Bush, the survey data show.
Despite these facts, the American people went along with the mainstream media and re-elected Obama for a second term in 2012, blocking any repeal of Obamacare.
I think that the American people need to realize that most journalists cannot be counted on to handle research and evidence accurately. Most of them probably never even completed a high school math or science course. They studied journalism. Journalism is not computer science. Journalism is not petroleum engineering. Journalism is not nursing. Journalism is an area where students are graded based on their ability to parrot what their leftist professors tell them to believe. At best, left-wing journalists are not competent. At worst, they are outright liars. Study after study on media bias has confirmed that left-wing journalists cannot be trusted to report the news fairly. That is not my opinion, that’s a fact.
Unfortunately for us, our failure to fix our little Obama mistake in the 2012 election is going to cost us all dearly – especially young people.
- New report on Obamacare claims that premiums will go up 100% to 400%
- Americans finding out the true costs of Obamacare
- New study: Obamacare will raise cost of medical claims by 32%
- Five Guys franchise owner says Obamacare will force him to raise prices
- How the new Obamacare mandates are reducing full-time employment
- How does Obamacare cause medical premiums to rise?
- Obamacare’s new tax on medical devices trickles down to hospitals and patients
- Medical premiums will continue to rise as Obamacare is implemented
- Christian business Hobby Lobby defies Obamacare abortion mandate
- When health insurance is forced to cover more, insurance premiums go up
- Obamacare in action: Denny’s to charge 5% surcharge and cut employee hours
- Papa John pizza CEO: cuts to employee hours likely, because of Obamacare
- A primer on the fiscal cliff facing us in January 2013: tax hikes and Obamacare
- Companies announce layoffs in the wake of Obama’s re-election
- Sally Pipes: how Obamacare causes doctors to quit practicing medicine
- Why do some people oppose Obamacare? What does Obamacare do?
- The full list of Obamacare tax hikes in order from largest to smallest
- California: Obamacare exchanges will raise health insurance premiums up to 25%
- Health insurance premiums up $3,000 since Obama was elected
- Report: Obamacare regulations will cost taxpayers and businesses $1.8 trillion
- CBO: Unemployment rises to 9.1% in 2013, health care spending doubles by 2022
- Obamacare subsidizes the risky behaviors of sexually active women
- Obamacare begins forcing states to cap and cut prescription drug benefits
- CBO: 20 million Americans could lose employer-provided health coverage under Obamacare