Here’s an post from Newsbusters dated March 2010 that talks about whether the left or right is more violent.
Before letting the media continue to perpetuate a stereotype that may not actually exist at all, let me give you the facts that U.S. journalists refuse to cite. Let me show you where real violence comes from, and I don’t even need to mention the millions of babies killed every year by progressives or even the tens of millions of people murdered by their communist heroes.
- It was not the fear of conservative violence that caused Ann Coulter’s speech to be cancelled this week.
- It was a liberal who bit the finger off a man who disagreed with him on healthcare.
- It was Obama-loving Amy Bishop who took a gun to work and murdered co-workers.
- Joseph Stack flew his plane into the IRS building after writing an anti-conservative manifesto.
- It was liberals who destroyed AM radio towers outside of Seattle.
- It’s liberals who burn down Hummer dealerships.
- It was progressive SEIU union thugs who beat a black conservative man who spoke his mind.
- It’s doubtful that a conservative fired shots into a GOP campaign headquarters.
- In fact, Democrats have no monopoly on having their offices vandalized.
- Don’t forget it was Obama’s friend Bill Ayers who used terrorism as a tool for political change. SDS is still radical, with arrests in 2007 and the storming of the CATO Institute in July 2008.
- It was a liberal who was sentenced to two years for bringing bombs and riot shields to the Republican National Convention in 2008.
- It was a liberal who threatened to kill a government informant who infiltrated her Austin-based group that planned to bomb the RNC.
- It was liberals who assaulted police in Berkeley.
- It was liberals who intimidated and threw rocks through the windows of researchers.
- The two Black Panthers who stood outside polls intimidating people with nightsticks were probably not right-wingers.
- Every time the G20 gets together, it’s not conservatives who destroy property and cause chaos.
But of course, you would never have this view if all you watched was the mainstream news media. Isn’t it funny how the pattern of leftist violence has been obscured by the way that the media presents the stories? Is it intentional?
Is the media biased to the left?
Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS’ “Evening News,” The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.
Only Fox News’ “Special Report With Brit Hume” and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter.
The most centrist outlet proved to be the “NewsHour With Jim Lehrer.” CNN’s “NewsNight With Aaron Brown” and ABC’s “Good Morning America” were a close second and third.
“Our estimates for these outlets, we feel, give particular credibility to our efforts, as three of the four moderators for the 2004 presidential and vice-presidential debates came from these three news outlets — Jim Lehrer, Charlie Gibson and Gwen Ifill,” Groseclose said. “If these newscasters weren’t centrist, staffers for one of the campaign teams would have objected and insisted on other moderators.”
The fourth most centrist outlet was “Special Report With Brit Hume” on Fox News, which often is cited by liberals as an egregious example of a right-wing outlet. While this news program proved to be right of center, the study found ABC’s “World News Tonight” and NBC’s “Nightly News” to be left of center. All three outlets were approximately equidistant from the center, the report found.
“If viewers spent an equal amount of time watching Fox’s ‘Special Report’ as ABC’s ‘World News’ and NBC’s ‘Nightly News,’ then they would receive a nearly perfectly balanced version of the news,” said Milyo, an associate professor of economics and public affairs at the University of Missouri at Columbia.”
The programming studied on Fox News offered a somewhat more positive picture… of Republicans and more negative one of Democrats compared with other media outlets. Fox News stories about a Republican candidate were most likely to be neutral (47%), with the remainder more positive than negative (32% vs. 21% negative). The bulk of that positive coverage went to Giuliani (44% positive), while McCain still suffered from unflattering coverage (20% positive vs. 35% negative).
When it came to Democratic candidates, the picture was more negative. Again, neutral stories had a slight edge (39%), followed by 37% negative and 24% positive. And, in marked contrast from the rest of the media, coverage of Obama was twice as negative as positive: 32% negative vs. 16% positive and 52% neutral.
But any sense here that the news channel was uniformly positive about Republicans or negative about Democrats is not manifest in the data.”
And of course in the related links you will find surveys of journalists, records of political contributions made by journalists, and glaring examples of left-wing media bias. The Democrat party as a whole is more to the right than mainstream journalism as a whole.
- MUST-SEE: Condoleezza Rice Takes on Katie Couric Over Iraq Claims
- CBS News caught on tape conspiring to smear Republican candidate
- Democrats got 88% of 2008 contributions from mainstream media
- How the left-wing media conspired to label conservatives as racists
- Journalists conspired to spike the Jeremiah Wright story
- Washington Post blogger is an advisor for the Obama administration
- Mark Steyn asks whether Fox News is more biased than CBC or BBC
- How reliable are government-paid broadcasters like Tavis Smiley?
- What can we learn about media bias from donations made by journalists?
- MSNBC’s Contessa Brewer regrets that Times Square suspect is Muslim
- Is the mainstream media fair in reporting on abortion violence?
- How the left-wing media lowers the level of civil discourse
- MSNBC deliberately edits out black protester then complains about racism
- Shocking video example of left-wing media bias on MSNBC
- Which cable news network has the worst media bias?
- Hugh Hewitt demolishes MSNBC’s Larry O’Donnell